City of Mist: MC Toolkit and Player's Guide Bundle - PDF
This PDF bundle comprises both the MC Toolkit and Player's Guide in one handy package with a discount compared to when bought separately.
The Master of Ceremonies' (MC) Toolkit is designed to support City of Mist MCs in every aspect of gamemastering. It includes step-by-step guides for creating and running your own City of Mist series, as well as ample ready-to-play content: challenges, adversaries, arch-villains, and a full case - "Gambling With Death" - so you can start playing right off the bat.
★★★★★ “a must have for ANY GM... the tips alone are worth it!” (Verified customer)
What's in this book:
- Chapter 1: Word on the Street describes four of the main City districts with sample locations and local Rifts, as well as additional districts and locations at the edge of town.
- Chapter 2: Behind the Scenes is a detailed breakdown of the MC’s roles, a step-by-step guide on how to run sessions including a variety of tools to help make your game more cinematic, and an in-depth walkthrough for creating your own cases and designing your series based on the Iceberg model.
- Chapter 3: This is MY City!, the villain chapter, contains the rules for creating and handling Dangers; a comprehensive Danger Profile directory containing dozens of Dangers to use in your games; a guide to Avatars and their operations with four ready-to-use Avatar profiles; and a special section on creating and using custom moves.
- A complete sample case: “Gambling with Death”.
Hit the rainy streets of an enigmatic metropolis as a modern-day legend in search for the truth. Investigate unsolved cases, uncover the stories of the city residents, and confront the hidden forces pulling the strings from beyond the veil of the Mist. Make hard calls about which aspect of your life to promote and which to neglect; then suffer the consequences. And when it all falls apart, stop holding back and become the unstoppable incarnation of your Mythos…
The Player's Guide includes everything essential for players of City of Mist, both old and new - an introduction to the setting, tools for creating unique modern fantasy characters, the complete cinematic game rules, and a dramatic character development system.
What's in this book:
- Chapter 1: The Lowdown has the inside scoop on the life of a Rift (a Player Character) and the process of awakening to the legend within you, with an introduction to setting of “the City”.
- Chapter 2: Who Are You? is a guide to the Exposition Session, in which you and your group create your City of Mist series. It includes the complete character creation system using 14 mix-and-match themebooks (questionnaires), quick character creation options, a system of crew relationships, sample crew themes, and the crew themebook.
- Chapter 3: Working the Case explains the game's cinematic rules system, focusing on the eight core moves, the four cinematic moves (Voiceover Monologue, Flashback, Montage, and Geek Out During Credits) and providing ample optional rules to customize your game.
- Chapter 4: Moments of Truth describes the game’s signature non-linear character development system which drives your character to explore the Mystery of your Mythos and go through dramatic moments of transformation, such as loss of a loved one or gaining new powers.
Why did you split the original Core Book into two books?
If I have the original Core Book, do I need the new books? What am I missing if I don’t get them?
The MC Toolkit contains a full ready-to-play case, Gambling With Death, that is only presented as an outline example in the original Core Book.
The new books have the Yellow Pages - summary and reference pages at the start of every chapter.
The content in the new books is arranged differently, with setting materials moved mostly to the MC Toolkit and the Core Moves appearing before Game Resources in the rules chapter.
The new books contain some corrections to errors found in the original Core Book.